20 April 2009

Cessation

The implications nature continues to provide have finally dawned on me - the year is coming to an end. As I walked back to my dorm this afternoon, proceeding a dinner of a spinach salad, topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, grapes, peaches and "craisins," I took note of the absolute beauty by which I was encompassed. It was nearly 6:45 and the sun still shown brightly, as if to enliven the morning of a new day. Prior to my observations of a baby squirrel running from its parents, a new bud on a cherry blossom tree, and that sun, not even on the verge of setting, I had refused to believe that "Spring had sprung." I was not ready for my sophomore year to come to a cessation, because of the improvements yet to be made in every aspect of my life. I have set unreachable goals for myself, and not reaching them has brought me down an unimaginable amount. I have wanted to be the straight A student I know I can be, but I have not put forth the full effort, and thus abandoned all possibilities of meeting said goals for the remainder of the school year.

As the expiration of this year creeps closer, those goals, though unaccomplished, elicited a dormant trait of mine which had been itching to rip itself out of my heart, crack my ribs and break through the box in which I had been hiding it for so long; I actually proved to myself and others that I have potential and my efforts have not been a waste of time. Even if they were, the time spent on everything this year was well worth it and I now realize that if given the chance, I would not change one thing that happened this year. As I said, I have not been ready for the year to be over, but I know that next year only holds new chances for improvement and an ample amount of times to shine, just as the sun shown at 6:45 this afternoon. The sun brought forth an unforgettable essence which the whole campus thoroughly embraced, and the completion of the year is accompanied with the endearing charm of Spring. So, the actual end to my year is also paired with a beauty of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment