12 June 2009

Forbidden Fruit

My alarm sounded at 5:30,
as it does every morning.
My body uncurled from its fetal position.
Left leg, then right leg,
my limbs unraveled and
brought me from my bed,
through the hall,
down the stairs,
through the door,
and to my garden.
Three minutes had swiftly drifted past me
on my way.

With time comes age.
I was three minutes closer.

I made my way through the garden -
past the cherry tree and
away from the watermelons -
until I came to a certain fruit.
I planted my feet firmly into the ground,
squished the fertile soil between my toes,
as if to burrow myself in the Earth to be
a little closer
to that fruit,
that spectacular life force,
thriving on all of its surroundings,
no matter its conditions.

I gazed at it, lovingly.
And I stood,
reversed,
and played.
Over and over.
Every day for nine months.
Sometimes, I would take my own time
away from that beautiful being.
But I would,
nevertheless,
return
at the end of every break,
filled with elation to see
how it had changed -
with time comes growth -
and how it had grown.

My time with it was
a euphoria
of sorts.

The rest of the fruit was good,
colourful, bright,
but it always came and sooner
or later
it was gone.
Always the same.
That fruit, though, lived longer than
the others
and followed through, stayed true
to its purpose.
A couple of weeks ago, my alarm sounded
at 5:31.
Late.
My toes curled and I let out a groan.
I had to see that fruit.
It had been nine months.
I dashed through the house
to get to my garden.
I stepped into it,
refreshed by smells of herbs
and tomatoes and cherries and
watermelons.

And the Earth.

I once more steadied myself
in front of that magnificent organism.
I gazed, longingly.
I reached toward it and, subsequently,
received a prick.
The fruit's leaves had thorns.
One bite was all I wanted.

I reached again.
Pricked again.
Again and again.
I stopped.
It wasn't ripe. It was aged.
But it was not ready.
I was not ready.
One bite is all I want.

With time comes age and
with age comes growth.
And that garden embodies one fruit
I have yet to experience.

One bite
from this forbidden fruit
is all I want.
I am not ready.
Time will tell
as I wait and age
and it ages and grows
and I grow and experience.
But I will wait.

1 comment:

  1. this onesway better and lss sexual than mine.
    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete