08 April 2010

Follow the Leader

Guilt, as it stands,
Has grown on me,
Erupted through my epidermis
Like a blemish, an imperfection,
A tumor.
Benign, so they say,
And it's soon to go away,
After maybe a day,
Maybe two, or ten, or
However long it may take --
But what they say
(Let it be or as it may)
Builds onto this cancer
And it's tearing me down.

"Upside down," they warn,
Is how I should wear my frown.
As if their name is at stake.

Please excuse my unforgivable
Lack of empathy.
But don't forget that you're the ones
Who get tense with me
And act as if I'm too dense to see
Right through your ever-present
Transparency.

Let, however, the word be spread
That my contempt is frail
And my hope is dead.

But have no worries and
Retain no concern,
Because from what I can discern,
Your pity parties
Are tiresome and time-consuming;
The false apologies
And tears turned dry
Sink heavy on your faces
While you attempt to lie.

Try, next time, to see past the fault,
Bring your mirror with you.
You set the example
And we're all waiting to slip up again.
Follow the leader is my favourite game.

No comments:

Post a Comment