03 May 2010

I'm Holdin' On, Holden.

My night, under opaque wraps, collects my candid questions --
unkept before the walls crept back up on me and
crammed my thorough thoughts
into sufficient suffocation and disallowed my dislocation
from total cerebral closure --
and covers cognitive wonders with a dense fence-like stone cure.

The clean-cut cold sheets, tucked beneath the bed springs
spring my curiosity through layer after layer
of teeming tides of blockades and prohibition
but someone sits at the edge of the road, just before crack
drops to cliff and he catches my despair, tangled in the rye, and
before my inexperience allows me to cry,
he hurls my candid questions back my way and continues
my disallowance of detaching myself from purity.

But despite his baseball mitts, he can't catch my verbal fits
so I scream, "My wants can't be blocked forever and Holden,
I'm holding onto my life for the sake of avoiding strife with you but
celibacy of the mind can only lead to our true demise."

He looks me in the eyes, scared he'd been outdone,
so he tries to run but the cliff leaves him hanging and
I reach for his undemanding hand that swats my offer
with a backwards hat.
But his fear subsides in his recollection of his misinterpretation of
a silly old poem that led him to believe he could catch our innocence.
So wear your hat straight, Holden, 'cause in the rye,
you're not the groundskeeper, but keep your ground and
catch yourself before you fall off the cliff and lose yourself
in your selfless tantrums and your disregard for your need for wondering.

Let me break through my caul, 'cause it's burning of decay and
I've overstayed my welcome in this amniotic gate, devoid of vitality,
and I like my life in my own hands, so I'll tell you now:
I'm holdin' on, Holden. Get a grip and hold on, yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment